Living On One Income Takes Courage

In my last post, I wrote briefly about my experience of living on my own and trying to move on. Well, I've started that, so now what?

I realized after living like a person with two incomes it really didn't feel tough especially living in a very expensive City. Well, reality check, your life style changes.

So, after having to start living on my own, and in a new environment, I looked and said to myself, "this is my new reality". I have to really live within my means. I was careful not to lose sight of the joys of living in a culturally dynamic city and to continue to live but within reason.

The first thing I did was to pull out a full map of the immediate area of where I now live. I prepared a new budget that would allow me to live well with what's around me. It helped me settle myself in to my new surroundings and know neighborhood layout. I'd like to share some tips that might be helpful and be a cost effective experience moving forward.



RECYCLE BAGS ~ Never walk out of the apartment without your own reusable grocery bag, ones that you can buy and use over and over or simply a paper bag. Each time you forget, an establishment would charge you from $.05 to $.10 per bag. Over that time, that can add up to costing you. I learned this trick when I spent a summer in Hamburg, Germany once when I went grocery shopping with friends. All of them were armed with a grocery bag to pack their own groceries. I felt like the odd one without something to help pack things up. The grocery store didn't even have bags; they had boxes for beer packing, but other than that, that's it. It can really ease the stress to have a bag on hand. Their easy to fold up and voila, your good to go! Bring Your Own Bag



FARMER'S MARKETS ~ One of the best things to discover and appreciate are nearby farmer's markets. They are fairly and reasonable priced, and costs are manageable for everyone's budget. If your planning a get together, making dinner, or making dessert, these markets are a sleuth of ideas waiting to happen. You get a chance to meet the vendors and also bump into neighbors or meet someone new. Also carry cash in small bills, it makes it easy to pay the vendors and sometimes you can negotiate a lower price on some fresh produce. In San Francisco, here's a list of market's to check on. My favorite is the one on Market Street, on UN Plaza near the Civic Center. Best Bay Area Farmers’ Markets By County


A Guide to Spring Farmers Markets in the Bay Area
HAPPY HOUR VENUES ~ You thought I would be Edgar all work and no play? Sometimes the old adage "work to live or live to work" comes to play. We all work smart in our lives and want to be able to enjoy the money we do earn and still live more than just to work. My other tip is looking for places that are nearby and convenient to enjoy a drink or two with friends and to make a mental note for next time when it comes to entertaining friends from out of town. My immediate thought was Yelp.com. Young or older, having a drink is an excellent relief from life's curve balls. In the "Find" field, go ahead and type in Happy Hour Specials. You'll see tons that will interests you. Some restaurant or bars will have special bar menus to enjoy as well. In the area I live in the City, I've picked one that is near my apartment. After finding your favorite place, click on directions and you'll see how close or far your next happy hour venue is. Rum and Sugar Bar As of this writing, their happy hour is from 5 - 7 pm. They have great signature drinks and one of their favorite creations is Rum and Juice.



The business writes,"We are a small, elegant lounge with great relaxed ambience, craft cocktails, a full bar and a huge selection of rum. We have Trivia nights on Thursday, Dj party on Friday and live jazz every Saturday (no admission fees). Come and enjoy."

So, a few things can start to make you be courageous in your efforts to living frugal and still enjoy life. I. Say. Live!

Comments