The Costco Rotisserie Chicken Deal ~ How to Get it

Disclaimer:  I don't have a Costco membership. 

However, a colleague of mine does. The other day, she asked me if I wanted to go with her to Costco to get a "few things".  I've not been to a Costco in years and never really had an interest. I love to support smaller local markets in the city. But, to try something different on a Wednesday night, why not? 

I agreed to go with her and realized I had a ticket in on getting Costco's notably inexpensive chicken. As of this writing, it's at $4.99. So, that was a "free admission" to getting in the warehouse. So, notable tip, piggy back with someone to get in for free

I walked to Costco from my apartment and arrived early. So, I sat down to wait for her, and began to watch people coming out of the warehouse and see what was in their carts as they headed to their cars. 

Right off the bat, I quickly noticed the customers buying this chicken deal. I did a random sampling of counting every 10 customers and seeing what was in their carts, low and behold, 6 out of 10 customers had the chicken in their carts. For larger families, there were two to four chickens! Very interesting, 

The funny thing I noticed was, the customers with the most purchases had at least one chicken. As for the singles, or couples, not one carried a chicken out the door, some had pizza from the in house restaurant deli. 

Prior to joining my friend at Costco shop, I made a little list that I wanted to get that would be worthwhile. Stuck to my guns and made sure I spent less than $50 which includes the famous rotisserie chicken. Frugal move, I made sure I wrote down my list and did not deviate. When you don't have a list, you tend to go very casual and end up purchasing more than you need. So suggestion, have a list on hand. 

The minute I entered Costco, I made sure I avoided the crowds that lingered at some tempting products and produce and immediately studied the layout of the warehouse. My strategy was divide and conquer. My friend and I split up and agreed to meet back at the register at a certain time. The more we stay in the store, the more we would spend. I quickly grabbed all the items I needed that were cost effective and sustainable and lasted a fair amount of time. 



First on the list was the chicken, of course. In the cart, check. The others were easy, bulk items to make sense. Something I could not get elsewhere in bulk. I quickly grabbed, drumstick chicken packets that are organized in individual packets of three, six packets total, for $7, Granola, two bags for $8, dishwashing gel, $9, but ok, I cheated, it was on my list, but I couldn't help but get it. Costco is known to introduce their own version of products, namely Kirkland brand. I love my Crown Royal whiskey, they had a huge bottle of a similar brand under Kirkland but it was bottled just like CR whiskey but at a fraction of the cost you'd get elsewhere, cost $19. So that's how they operate, clever. 

After leaving Costco, I think I did well, and felt good with the items I bought. I think if I stick to my guns, I still get away at being frugal, but always remember to not lose sight of good deals. 

I'll. Be. Back. At a free admission though. 


Comments