DIY. Bathroom Faucet. Install.

I started watching a YouTube video on how to install a brand new bathroom faucet. The video lasted for less than 10 minutes. After watching the video, I thought I'd take on a project of this "manageable" size. 

It was to replace an old faucet that needed updating and boy did it need one. Plus, I figured it would be a very cost effective way to update a dated bathroom. Small touches can go a long way. 

So I ordered my faucet through Wayfair.com after researching an inexpensive faucet, water saving, and contemporary looking for the my bathroom. This one I found for $65.00. 

Here's my older faucet and boy, did it need upgrading. 




Clearly I bit into this project more than I could chew off. I was not prepared to deal with time, tools, and costs. 

First off, I did not realize how old this faucet was, it took me hours just to detach everything from the water lines to the connections that secured the faucet. Another thing was that I didn't have enough space to move around in to do the install. The bathroom vanity was inches away from the bathroom shower/tub so I could not really maneuver my way around when working with my tools. 

As for the tools, I was unprepared, I did not have the right tools, note to self make sure you know what tools are needed. I ended up improvising to make sure I could loosened bolts, screws, whatever was needed to make the change out. 




Finally the costs, when I finally had all of the pieces in place to turn the water line back on, wouldn't you know it, one of the lines did not reattach correctly, as I also punctured one of the tubes and so a slight leak occurred. Ugh! 

Although I got as far as I could to the third base, I needed help to take me to home base. I gave in, instead of saving some money, I saved face, ended up calling a plumber to replace and secure the leak. (Thank goodness it didn't cost much, another $100) 

Overall, I would say, it was a tall order to think a simply DIY was that simple. Best way to describe this project, is to one, examine the situation better, observe space to work in, have right tools, time, and money. Frugal approach, but sometimes there are drawbacks and I appreciate learning the hard way, now I know it's best to assess the project more reflectively. Note to self, be careful what types of DIY to watch on YouTube.

I'm proud of my finished project but, it's a start to more thoughtful planning on how to be frugal and manage your DIY projects. 



Haywood Centerset Bathroom Faucet with Pop-Up Drain Assembly by Delta


Comments